Tuesday, April 21, 2015

Accreditation Assessment - Writing Response

Superheroes and villains are probably the most prominent symbols in this story; they are what this story is about, after all. It seems a little strange that these terms are being used in what seems more like a "realistic" story; usually archenemies preside in more caricatured, cartoony worlds. That said, I think that the story has sort of embraced the awkwardness of the juxtaposition of these terms. The main character struggles with the decision to tell his significant other about his secret life, not only because he does bad things to people, but because he's "evil." No one is truly evil in real life (or at least, not in a more realistic-feeling story like this one.)

The story is basically a letter (well, a holographic message) to a person that the main character truly loves. While the evil and hero themes are present, the underlying context of the message is universal. We all have skeletons in our closet and things that we may be ashamed of, and that shared experience helps us relate to characters that we read about. Even though the main character in this story was a bad person (based on the actions they say they do,) we still want them to succeed because we understand what they feel. That's really important. 

I believe that this story would make a fun game. While the structure of the message might not be interactive enough, I believe the story of the evil scientist living two parallel lives and making decisions would be an interesting gaming experience. I would make the game about the events that are used as flashbacks in the story itself. It might be possible to create a game that lets the player make decisions that don't follow the story, and see how that would play out. The big appeal that I would find playing a game like this is that, I could be an evil villain, and I can lose myself into this interesting life apart from my own, and decide what happens. 

No comments:

Post a Comment